Gavin High
Class of 1881

©Published on Dec. 1, 1936

Gavin D. High, 70,
Journalist, Dies

Member of The Sun Staff Here
for 40 Years Was Former
Editor in California.

Gavin Dhu High, veteran newspaper man, a member of the staff of The Sun for nearly forty years, died on Sunday at his home 89-30 Whitney Avenue, Elmhurst, Queens, after a long illness. He was in his seventy-first year.

Mr. High, known as "Pop" High to his colleagues, was forced by ill health to retire from active work on The Sun in April, 1932, while he was covering the New York County Court House. He had held several important posts with the newspaper, among them circulation manager and assistant mechanical superintendent during the days when The Sun published three papers.

He was an amateur boxer during his younger days and also a tenor on the operatic stage, appearing in important productions in many parts of the country.

Born in Raleigh, N.C., he was the son of Colonel William H. and Amanda High. His family moved to Oakland, Calif., while he was still a child. He attended the Oakland High School and the University of California, from which he was graduated in 1889.

While in college he did correspondence work for The San Francisco Chronicle and served as publicity man for the Southern Pacific Railroad in connection with a railroad car exhibit which toured the country. During his tour he met Miss Lillian Riely of Winchester, Va., whom he later married.

After college, he became a reporter on The San Francisco Report for about three years, serving also as assistant dramatic editor and Washington correspondent. He served on The Oakland Tribune, was founder and managing editor of The Los Angeles Record and editor and publisher of The Oakland Times and the Oakland Item.

He took occasional time off from his newspaper work during this period to appear in operatic roles and sang in Lillian Russell's production of "La Cigale" at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. He also sang with his wife, who was soloist for Sousa's Band.

Mr. High came to New York in 1896, joining the staff of The Evening Sun on Dec. 31 of that year.

Mr. High, who was a former officer of the New York Press Club, is survived by his widow, two brothers, Alexander and Geddy High, and a sister, Mrs. V. C. Royster.