George Swan
Class of 1882

©Published in The Hollister Free Lance on March 22, 1889

**A Mountain Suicide -- G.W. SWAN, Jr., Takes His Life**

On Tuesday evening Mr. A.D. SHAW received a telegram announcing that the corpse of a young man had been found at Healdsburg, and near it was found a letter written by Mr. SHAW. This letter was the only means of identifying the body. Mr. SHAW at once thought that the dead man could be none other than Mr. Geo. SWAN, his brother-in-law, and immediately brought the news to Mr. SWAN's brother, Gail, who was attending a meeting of the Native Sons. Mr. SWAN was greatly affected by the news. Gail left on Wednesday mornings train for the scene of the sad tragedy.

From a dispatch received from Healdsburg: A hunter named Joe RAMSPOTT found the body of a dead man on the summit of Fitch mountain. The Coroner found that the man shot himself through the right temple with a bulldog revolver, killing himself instantly. He was a stranger here, well dressed, had a sandy complexion and registered at the Sotoyome House on Saturday night as George J. JOHNSON, of San Francisco. He was about 25 years old.

H.H. EGBERT, until a short time ago a business partner, said that George W. SWAN, was 23 or 24 years old and unmarried, the brother-in-law of the editor of the San Benito Advance; that his father, George W. SWAN, lives on Howard street, near Seventeenth and up to a few weeks ago, the younger George had been residing there; the elder SWAN had an office at 1st and Jefferson streets, Oakland, where he is Superintendent of the Melthine Manufacturing Co.; the son had received a small salary as secretary of the company until leaving the city about 2 weeks ago; had graduated from Oakland High School in 1882; had been talking about going to the Washington territory, but a friend named PHELPS wouldn't go with him.

William M. PHELPS, the friend referred to, stated that SWAN had once roomed with him; had been employed by Paraffine Paint Company; then went to where the Spring Valley Works were being built and took charge of the Commissary dept.; he last saw young SWAN March 9th when Alfred SHAW, a brother-in-law of the young man, told him to keep him informed as to SWAN's whereabouts.

The deceased was the eldest son of Mr. George W. SWAN, who at present resides in San Francisco; his family lives here at his Hollister residence which is presided over by his eldest daughter, Mrs. A.D. SHAW.

The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon at Oakland from the first Congregational Church. The remains were interred in the family plot at Mountain View cemetery.