History of Oakland High School

send additions, corrections and suggestions for history page to Bev Shulster '65

Class Index Name Search Links


12th & Market, 1872

Original OHS building at
12th & Market St.
occupied 1872 - 1895

Building burned by arsons twice in 1888



12th & Jefferson, 1895

The "Old Brick Pile" at
12th & Jefferson St.
Building occupied 1895 - 1928

Became the Oakland Technical High School until 1943
and was torn down in 1944 for a parking lot


Park & Hopkins, 1928

The "Pink Prison" at Park & Hopkins
(later Park & MacArthur)
Designed by 1890 OHS grad, Charles Dickey
Ground breaking held 6 Dec 1926
Building occupied 1928 - 1980

Torn down for not meeting modern
fire and earthquake regulations


Park & MacArthur, 1980 Park & MacArthur, 1980

The "Windowless Wonder" at
Park & MacArthur
occupied 1980 - present

Class Index Name Search Links



Principals of Oakland High School

Mr. Joseph Burwell McChesney 1869 - 1901
Dr. James H. Pond 1901 - 1908
Mr. Charles E. Keyes 1908 - 1929
Dr. Lucien P. Farris 1929 - 1948
Mr. Paul W. Pinckney 1948 - 1967
Mr. Alfred Goria 1967 - 1968
Mr. Norman Shapiro 1968 - 1969
Mr. Frank Shultz 1969 - 1973
Dr. Katherine S. Watson 1974 - 1979
Dr. Mary T. Williams 1979 - 1985
Mr. Dennis Smith 1985 - 1986
Mr. Clifford Alire 1986 - 1988
Dr. Marlin Foxworth 1988 - 1989
Ms. Joanne Grimm 1989 - 1995
Mr. Wayne Young 1995 - 1997
Mr. Gilbert Cho 1997 - 2000
Ms. Yvonne Allara 2000 - 2002
Mr. Clement Mok 2002 - 2007
Ms. Mary Scott 2007 - 2009
Ms. Alicia Romero 2009 - 2012
Mr. Jeff Rogers 2012 - 2013
Mr. Matin Abdel-Qawi 2013 - Present
Please help fill in the blanks and make necessary corrections

Class Index Name Search Links


Historical Sketch of the
Oakland High School

E. F. Burrill

PHENOMENAL in the progress of education has been the development of high schools in California. In the van of this development, not only in its founding and growth, but also in progressive methods, has stood the Oakland High School.

Established in 1869, it was the sixth high school to be founded in California. The five older schools are San Francisco, now the Lowell, 1858; a little later the same year, Sacramento and Marysville; and Nevada City and Grass Valley, 1862.

It is a striking coincidence that the school had its birth on the spot where stands its present home. When it moved into its present commodious building, in January, 1895, the old two-story frame building in which the school was born still stood in the court, a forlorn relic of the days of gold.

Here the infant school of fifteen pupils received its first nurture under the fostering care of the veteran educator, Mr. J. B. McChesney, as principal, and Miss Emma Smith, as assistant. In this atmosphere it lived and grew for two years.

In 1871 the school moved into a large, three-story building which was erected at the corner of Market and Twelfth streets. Here at first it occupied the second floor, the first floor being occupied by grammar grades, and the thrid story unfinished. From this time its growth was steady and its life and usefulness firmly established. Other able and devoted instructors were added; it gradually crept, first upward, and took possession of the third floor, then downward, finally driving out the grammar pupils and occupying the entire building.

In 1888 occurred an event which not only threw the hitherto even life of the school into consternation, but doubtless contributed to hastening the day of its enterance into its present abode. The building at Twelfth and Market streets was burned to the first story.

The shelterless pupils swarmed, like disturbed ants, out upon the streets, seeking temporary shelter wherever it could be found. As the school at this time numbered more than six hundred pupils, it was no easy matter to find accommodations for them.

-- from the 1902 yearbook, "Aegis"

Class Index Name Search Links


The first class of the Oakland High School graduated in the spring of 1872, just fifty years ago. The surviving members of that class are to participate in our graduating exercises at the end of this term, June, 1922. The present class sincerely appreciates the honor conferred upon it by the first class. In commemoration of this happy event, this issue of the Aegis gives the names of all the 5,000 boys and girls who have graduated from the Oakland High School.

A breif historical sketch of the school may not be out of place at this time. The Oakland High School was organized in the fall of 1869. At that time the school system of Oakland consisted of fifteen teachers and something over one thousand pupils. There were four grammar schools, and the high school was organized in one of these -- the Lafayette School -- located at the corner of Twelfth and Jefferson streets, on the site now occupied by the Oakland High School. The city then had a population of about 10,000. Previous to the organization of the high school, young people wishing an eduction beyond the eighth grade attended private schools, a number of which were established in Oakland.

The most noted of these was the College of California, located at Twelfth and Franklin streets. This college was organized in 1855. It merged into the University of California, which was first organized in the buildings of the College in September, 1869. Thus the Oakland High School and the State University began their careers at the same time, within four blocks of each other.

In the fall of 1871 the high school moved from the Lafayette Grammar School to a new high school building at the corner of Twelfth and Market streets, the present site of the Vocational High School. At the time of this removal the school had about seventy-five students and two teachers.

As the city increased in population, the high school also grew in numbers. In 1879 it had 325 students, and 450 in 1889. On the evening of April 6, 1889, the high school building burned. The foundation and something of the first story were saved, but six months were required to rebuild it. In the meantime the school occupied Hamilton Hall, an old building on the southeast corner of Thirteenth and Jefferson streets, and a Jewish synagogue, just one block east on Clay street. The school moved into the reconstructed building October 21, 1889, and on the evening of November 6, just sixteen days later, another fire consumed the roof and the second story. The remainder of the year was spent in Hamilton Hall and the synagogue, with some classes in the first story of the school building.

In August, 1890, the school was once more back at Twelfth and Market in the building which had been a second time reconstructed on the old foundations. It is this building which now houses the Vocational High School.

In January, 1895, the school moved into the building which it now occupies. Thus, after an existence of twenty-five years, the Oakland High School came back to the spot where it was born. The Lafayette Grammar school in the meantime had moved into its new home at the corner of Seventeenth and West Streets.

During all these years, Mr. J. E. [sic] McChesney had been principal of the school. He was the principal and the only teacher in 1869, when the school was founded, and remained principal until 1901, when he resigned. He was followed by Mr. J. H. Pond, who served as principal until 1908, when he resigned and was succeeded by Mr. C. E. Keyes, the present head of the school. It would be difficult to find stronger and more efficient men than these three, and the high standing of the school is due largely to them.

When the school moved in 1895, it was still a three-year school. The grammar schools at the time gave a nine-year course, and the high school course began with the tenth year. In 1896 the ninth grades from all the grammar schools of the city, except the Franklin School, were concentrated at the old high school building at Twelfth and Market streets, which had been renamed the Central Grammar School. Tenth and eleventh grade classes in home economics and commercial subjects were also added. This school was really a second high school, and in a short time its name was again changed to the Central High School.

When the Oakland High School occupied its new home in 1895, it had an enrollment of about 500. In 1901 all ninth-grade students from the Franklin school, and all from the Central High School except those taking commercial and home economics courses, were transferred to the Oakland High School. The school then had some 900 students. By 1909 there were 1100.

The Central High School had its name twice changed, first to the Polytechnic High, and then to the Manual Training and Commercial High. It was steadily growing into a well-equipped high school.

For a number of years after 1910 there was a falling off in numbers at the Oakland High School. This was due to the annexation of the Fruitvale district to Oakland, which opened the Fremont High School to the young people of the city; to the building of a new home for the Manual Training and Commerciial High School, which at the time of its removal in 1915 was renamed the Oakland Technical High School; and to the organization of two new schools, the Vocational High School and the University High School. In 1917 the enrollment of Oakland High School was only 650. After this the numbers began to climb. In 1919 the school had 950 students; in 1920, 1150; in 1921, 1325; and in the spring term of 1922, 1450.

Throughout its career the Oakland High School has been an academic or cultural school. To prepare young people for college has always been one of its principal [sic] aims. But in 1915 the scope of its work was enlarged by the addition of a commercial and a home economics department. The music department has been enlarged and the work of the other departments has developed a more practical character. What is needed is a new site and a new building, in order that the school may be an all-around, modern, cosmopolitan high school.

John R. Sutton [Vice-Principal]
-- from the 1922 yearbook, "Aegis"

Class Index Name Search Links



Oakland High School Celebrates 75th Anniversary

Alumni of Oakland High School looked back into history today as the school planned to celebrate its 75th anniversary.

...the original building, at 12th and Market streets, burned [in 1889] and classes were held in a synagogue while the school was being rebuilt... The students were back only one month when fire struck again and took the roof and second floor. Once more the "kids" went back to Hamilton Hall and the synagogue.

They were brought back to the reconstructed building a second time and stayed there until January of 1895 when Oakland High moved to a brand new brick structure at 12th and Jefferson Streets. It stayed there in the "Old Brick Pile" until 1928, when the third building was put up at Park Boulevard and Hopkins Street, its present location.

In the 75 years that have elapsed since the high school was born, Oakland has had four principals, starting with J. B. McChesney, the original teacher, who put in 32 years as head of the school. He was replaced in 1901 by Dr. J. H. Pond, who in turn gave way in 1908 to Mr. Charles E. Keyes. In 1929 Dr. L. P. Farris took over and is there till today.

-- from the Oakland Tribune, May 22, 1944

Class Index Name Search Links



Welcome to Oakland High School

Oakland High, the oldest high school in this area, was opened in 1869 in Lafayette Grammar School at Twelfth and Jefferson streets. The principal, Mr. J. F. [sic] McChesney, was also the only teacher. Before this, any graduate of the city's four grammar schools who wanted a high school education had to attend private school.

Three years after it was founded, Oakland High School moved into its own building at the corner of Twelfth and Market Streets; it was from this structure that the first class was graduated in 1872.

Twice in 1889 Oakland High School was almost consumed by fire, the first time in April and the second in November, only 16 days after it was reopened. Classes were held temporarily in Hamilton Hall at Thirteenth and Jefferson, in a synagogue [Temple Beth Jacob] on Clay Street, and when possible, in the partially burned school.

"The red brick pile" to which older graduates refer was the Oakland High School opened in January 1895 on the site of its first home - Twelfth and Jefferson. The year 1928 saw construction of the present three story school on Park Boulevard at Hopkins, now MacArthur Boulevard. This served as both a junior and senior high school until 1961, when McChesney Junior High School expanded to accommodate ninth graders.

Oakland High School is proud of its history, its faculty, and its student body. What you do here will continue to make it an outstanding school.

Oakland High School is an outstanding school. You are very fortunate to have the opportunity of attending such a fine school. I am sure you will get a good start here if you remember your responsibilities as well as your rights. Among these responsibilities are:

  1. Making the most of your study time and keeping up with your school work at all times.
  2. Obeying school rules and keeping free from illegal clubs.
  3. Taking an active part in your school government and social program.

The principal and all the faculty at Oakland High School hope your years here will be pleasant and profitable.

Paul W. Pinckney, Principal

These should be significant years for you, for during this time you will become mature citizens capable of taking your place with adults.

For some of you this will mean merely casting an intelligent vote every time there is an election. For others it will mean more conspicuous leadership in the fileds of science, statesmanship, and human relations. May you realize your full potential.

Virginia Socolofsky, Vice-Principal

For many of you these will be your final years of formal schooling. For others it is only another stop on the road to knowledge. Whether you are nearing the end of your school career, or just beginning, we hope you will make the most of your opportunities at Oakland High School

William H. Miller, Vice-Principal
-- from the pamphlet welcoming incoming sophomores, Sep, 1962

Class Index Name Search Links



Oakland High School: The First Hundred and Eleven Years

Ave in Memoriam

We've come a long way from then 'til now,
We've worked, we've played, we've frowned.
Our path's been always full somehow,
Our ambitions...places found.

But now at last we've reached the time,
When most friends say "goodbye,"
That time when tears and joys combine
As we leave our Oakland High.

--Oaken Bucket
ca. 1940


This pamphlet does not pretend to be a complete history of Oakland High School. It is no more than a combination of various student papers, which were submitted in the spring semester of 1979 based on materials, which were available at the school. Because of these factors not all of the facets of Oakland High's history could be covered. Additionally, errors and misinterpretations may have been incorporated in the original papers and, by extension, into this work.

It is hoped, though, that the materials presented here will not only give a general view of Oakland High School throughout its existence of over one hundred years but will also give the students of "OHS" a feeling for the traditions of the institution.

Obviously thanks are due to all of the students who participated in the development of this project. Listing sixty-seven names is a bit more than seems necessary though. For those who are interested in such a list, check the enrollment for California History for the time period indicated above.

Finally, for those who discover that their favorite fact (or fiction) from Oakland High's history is not included or that an error in factual information has been made--contact the school and let us know. We may publish another edition of this in another fifty years.

Oakland High School: The First Hundred and Eleven Years

On July 12, 1869, twenty-nine students and one teacher, J. B. McChesney, met in one of the rooms of the old Lafayette Elementary School at 12th and Jefferson for the opening of a new era in Oakland's public education: a high school. This marked the founding of not only one of the first secondary schools in Northern California, but an institution which continues to exist to the present time.

As Oakland gained in population, size and importance due, among other things, to the completion of the transcontinental railroad, the single room became inadequate and Oakland High received its own structure. Located at 12th and Market, it was soon filled with seventy-five students and an additional teacher. This new "home," opening in the fall of 1871 continued in use until April 6, 1889 when it was destroyed by a fire. Investigation showed that the fire had been set by an arsonist but this information was of no value to the students and teachers who were now without a school. The student body was quickly relocated to a local synagogue through a rental agreement and was, additionally, placed at Hamilton Hall at the corner of 10th and Jefferson. Reconstruction of the old building was started and while the students attended the two sites improvements were planned for the re-opening. On October the fifth the school reopened. It remained open for sixteen days. Another fire, also caused by arson, burned down the second story and the students and teachers went back to Hamilton Hall.

The School Board, accepting what seemed to be inevitable, and also looking at the growth of the school population of Oakland, decided that rather than attempting to rebuild again, the High School should have a totally new structure: not only modern and up to date, but fireproof as well. After much discussion the cornerstone of the new building was laid in 1893 and construction continued for two years. Over $175,000 was spent in building and equipping the new school and when it was completed in 1895, it was one of the finest school structures in the United States.

Mr. McChesney, now in his seventy-sixth year, opened the doors of the new four story building in January of 1895 and Oakland High students finally had a home that would remain constant for the next thirty-four years. The "Old Brick Pile" on the corner of 12th and Jefferson became known throughout the region as one of the finest schools in the state, carrying on the academic traditions established from the beginning of the institution. The old building(s) had, after all, graduated such people as George C. Pardee, Class of 1875, who, along with Frank Merriam, '82, would be Governors of the State. William Starey, Class of 1877, President of the Western Pacific Railroad, Guy Earl, Regent of the University of California, Franklin Lane, Woodrow Wilson's Secretary of the Interior, Robert G. Sproul, President of the University of California, and Henry Melvin, a Justice of the California State Supreme Court. With this kind of tradition behind them the new school's students attempted to surpass what had gone on before.

As the population continued to grow in the city the need for additional high schools was soon seen and the Board of Education established a Polytechnic high school and, eventually, others based on the Oakland High model. Unfortunately for Oakland High, its location was now in the midst of the business district and the building itself was old and somewhat inadequate.

Civic pride was called upon and the citizens of Oakland responded with the recommendation that a new Oakland High School be constructed. One major consideration was that the new structure was to be moved out of the downtown area and closer to the center of probable student population above Lake Merritt. A site was chosen on the corner of Park Boulevard and Hopkins Street, construction was started in the mid-twenties and the new building was completed in June of 1928. Part of the new building was, in point of fact, an old building. The Susan B. Anthony Junior High School was revamped into science classrooms and tied into the new structure. Little expense was spared in making the new Oakland High an impressive building. The general impression when the construction was finished and classes moved into what was to soon be called the "Pink Palace" was that Oakland had received excellent value for the $780,000 that had been spent. The new school not only had a classical flavor, it was also richly covered in architectural detailing; guardian bears on the steps from Park Boulevard, battlements, pseudo-gothic spires, stucco reliefs of students reading, studying, playing games on the outer walls and a general feeling of impressiveness. Better still, the school had a football field. Dirt, to be sure, but a field.

The school opened in September of 1929 and remained in used through the Depression years of the thirties, the Second World War, the post-war years and was continuing into its forty-fifth year when news came from Sacramento that it was not earthquake proof--or at least that it might not be. By this time the school as well as the nation had gone through considerable changes. A series of industrial education shops had been added when the school district had decided that all Oakland high school should be comprehensive rather than specialized by the education offered; the school had received the gift of Ferris Court from the senior class of 1946, who had name it after the principal; a swimming pool had been built by the City of Oakland and was used by the Physical Education Department and the State of California had constructed the MacArthur Freeway virtually across the street.

With the earthquake safety problem and the overall age of the building to be considered, a decision was reached to consult the community as to what should be done. Essentially two choices were available: to rebuild the present structure to "safe" standards or to build a whole new school. A new school on the same site was decided upon and a firm of architects was hired to develop plans.

When these were eventually submitted to the School Board for approval, they were far too expensive for the monies budgeted for construction and the result was the replacement of the original architects by another firm. Between the original decision to build, the committees involved, the necessary approvals and the drastic pruning made necessary by cost overruns and inflation, the new building took a long time to get underway. At last construction was started and the new Oakland High is scheduled to open in the fall of 1980.

The new Oakland High will not really be new though. Any institution with over one hundred years of tradition and history will have developed a sense of itself. Whether this feeling will be continued at the new school is not altogether certain. It will depend upon the students and the opportunities available to them for carrying on in the spirit of Oakland High. One of the more important factors in this regard will be the publications, organizations and clubs operating, many of which have a long history at the school.

While no means an exhaustive list, the following may give some indication of the varied extracurricular activities available to students through Oakland High's history.

The Aegis was started in the fall of 1886 and has continued publication almost continuously since that time. Originally it was a combination yearbook and student magazine. Since that time the name has been retained by the bi-weekly newspaper while the yearbook has been re-titled The Oaken Bucket. The literary magazine, newest of the school's publications, is named Oak Leaves. All of these have received awards for excellence throughout the years.

Drama productions apparently started in a formal manner around the turn of the century. Originally they were presented by the drama club, "The Masquers" and this was continued for a number of years. Eventually the senior class began to give productions also. This led to some confusion and eventually "Term" plays were given with any member of the student body eligible to take part. Since 1900 plays from authors ranging from Shakespeare through Arthur Miller have been given, usually with excellent results. It has become traditional that the spring production be a musical comedy, given in collaboration with the Oakland High Music Department.

One individual who came out of the Oakland High drama program and became a success in show business is Ralph Edwards, noted as the host of the radio and television program "This is your Life." Mr. Edwards returned to his alma mater in 1944 for the Oakland High School seventy-fifty anniversary "Diamond Jubilee" and acted as host for a program that was attended by over 5,000 persons. Eddie Anderson, who played "Rochester" on the Jack Benny program is another who became involved in the drama program at Oakland High.

During the period when Paul W. Pinckney was principal (1947-1968), a determined effort was made by the school administration to increase the importance of both student organizations and student government. The school day was often organized around a "club period" and every student was expected to belong to at least one organization, which would meet his or her interests. Among the various clubs and organizations operating at different times in the school's history were: The Marquettes (for male students) and Monarces (for females) which were based on outdoor activities such as camping, The Chess Club, The Drewer Radio, The Congress Debating Society, Sound Crew, Youth Conference, Rally and Dance Committee, Honor Society, Audio-Visual Club, Acorn Council, The Block "O" Society (for individuals who "lettered" in sports), The Gold "O" Society, who not only had to win a block letter but win a scholarship as well, and Big Sisters. The Key Club, which was organized at Oakland High in 1934, continued on, and a sister organization, The Keywanettes, was formed in 1975.

During the last twenty years Oakland High has seen a drop in the total number of clubs available to students, although many new clubs have been formed to partially replace many of the organizations that fell by the way-side. Among these are the various Ethnic organizations such as The Black Student's Union (now Black Student's Coalition), The Asian Student Alliance, Filipino Students' Organization and the LaRaza, Mexican-American group. All of these groups have filled students' needs and have made presentations to the student body at various assemblies.

In addition to the club and organization emphasis, Mr. Pinckney was deeply interested in student government. Under his leadership Oakland High developed a form of student government that has been a model for many other institutions. In addition to the usual Student Body President and Cabinet, Oakland High has a Delegate Assembly made up of representatives from the various classrooms who meet to discuss student affairs. Generally, it is accurate to say that faculty and administrative interference in student government has been at a minimum over the years.

One area in which certain members of the faculty have taken an active interest in over the years is sports. Sports, both inter-mural and inter-scholastic, have been a basic part of Oakland High School for a very long time. Football, Baseball and Track were among the earliest forms of "official" competitions for Oakland High. Later, Basketball and Tennis were added. More recently, Wrestling, Golf, Badminton, Soccer, Swimming, Volleyball and interscholastic competitions for females have been added to the school's program. For a period Oakland High was even competing in Crew.

Although it is debatable who the greatest of Oakland High's sports heroes was (or is), some names stand out over the years: Frank Sobero from the class of 1930 who went on to All-American honors in football; Jackie Jensen, "The Golden Boy" of the forties, who not only went on to college fame at the University of California but has the distinction of being one of the two individuals in history who have played in both the Rose Bowl and The world Series. Zoe Ann Olsen, another Oakland High star of the forties, won an Olympic Silver Medal in swimming and eventually married Jensen. In more recent times, Ken McAlister, who was named an All-American in two sports in the same year, and Lloyd Moseby, who was chosen in the second round of the Baseball Draft, have carried on the winning tradition of the school. A check of the athletic records held by Oakland High students and graduates and the overall successes of the school's teams give testimony to the importance and interest shown by both students and faculty.

One other area in which Oakland High has competed for a number of years is in the ROTC program. This was started in 1920 and by 1922 had over one hundred "cadets" enrolled. By the start of World War II in 1941, the program had prepared a large number of young men for what was to be a bitter long struggle. After the war, ROTC continued and at the present time includes female cadets as well as males. As with the sports program, ROTC has been successful in its competitions.

Of course life at Oakland High School was not exclusively made up of clubs, organizations, sports and so forth. There were always the problems of fads and styles to deal with. By and large the students of the school managed to follow the fads set by the greater community and over the years, have involved themselves with goldfish swallowing, hot rods, anti-establishment views and other indications that they knew what society was doing. Fashions followed the same trend. Short skirts for female students were popular in the "Roaring Twenties" and came back, much shorter with the "Mini-Skirts" of the sixties. Male students can be seen today wearing what were called "Harvard Bags" in the twenties. When the school opened in 1869, it is assumed that the students wore adult attire and this trend was followed through the end of the "teens." This meant long, elaborate dresses for the female students and coats and ties for the male students. During the 1950's "chino" pants and angora sweaters tended to be the most popular items of apparel. The sixties showed the beginnings of the anti-establishment trend of the times in the clothing worn by Oakland High School students. "Love" beads, long hair for males, "Granny Glasses" and "psychedelic" fabrics were all popular. It is accurate to say that the typical Oakland High student over the years has dressed and acted much as other high school students in the Bay Area.

Oakland High School students have not followed the usual pattern in two important areas however. One is scholarship, the other is in maintaining a positive attitude towards not only education but towards Oakland High itself.

In the turmoil of the middle 1960's when other high schools in the area were plagued with violence, Oakland High School had no riots, no massive protests, no assaults and managed to continue about its business. This remarkable record can be seen as an indication that the students, the faculty and the administration all managed to agree that whatever occurred in the greater world, they would continue to get along with each other at school. What is even more remarkable about this is that the student population of the school was changing from a predominantly white to a predominantly minority racial composition. It would be untrue to say that there were no racial incidents during this changeover; it would also be untrue to say that it was accomplished without stress. What is true, though, is that the overall record was one of solving problems in a peaceful and low-key manner.

Perhaps the generally calm and academic atmosphere of the school can be attributed to the excellent record in scholarship established by Oakland High students. The school developed a fine reputation from a very early period and has continued this to the present time.

The first Oakland High was designed as a college preparatory school with little or no attention being paid to vocational education. As the years went on however, commercial courses and industrial training classes were added to the curriculum. Over the years, the totally academic, college bound program was increased by these additions until Oakland High was offering a wide range of courses in many subject areas. Generally speaking, the influence of the early years with its emphasis on excellence is still very strong.

Some of the credit for this must go to the faculty. While the school has changed from one room to many, and the faculty from one to over one hundred, there has been a consistent general excellence among the teaching staff who have tended to be very qualified in their subject fields and motivated to do good work. One indication of this is that the Oakland High faculty has a very high proportion of advanced degrees and has suffered fewer personnel changes over the past few years than most schools.

One faculty position has been especially important in giving Oakland High School students help in both entering college and getting scholarship help: the scholarship advisor. This has been an invaluable help to many students who have used the services provided and have received well over fifteen million dollars in scholarships since 1969. With the growing number of scholarships and grants available both from private and public sources, having a teacher who can spend considerable time with students helping them in this area is another indication of the Oakland High pursuit of excellence.

Since its first graduating class of 1869, Oakland High School has graduated in excess of thirty-four thousand students. Many of these have gone on to become highly successful in many fields of endeavor. Despite the changes that the years have brought to the school, new buildings, new fads, new academic areas, new faculty members and new administrators, Oakland High has continued to be a school with a great past and a great future.

The Pink Palace will be demolished in the summer of 1980 and, as has happened before, students and faculty will pick up and move to a new building. They will carry with them one hundred and eleven years of history and tradition--a history and tradition that has been outstanding in many respects. A history and tradition that has provided a "home" for learning as well as a place for enjoyment. A history and tradition of winning, both in athletics and scholarship. A history and tradition of tolerance for the ideas of others and inter-group understanding.

Good-bye Oakland High
Hello Oakland High


How fondly I have grown to feel for you,
These dear old halls, these panels dull with age,
These red brick walls that seem to live anew
the memories of long past, better days.

The low'ring hour shows that you stood the test,
and these old rooms, and glamour-laden nooks
that rung with echoes long since laid at rest,
tell stories like old, worn edged, dusty books.

Too soon the glorious echoes all shall die,
and I, for one, shall sadly turn away,
passing your dear, worn image by,
to greet what men would call a better day.

--Oakland High School Aegis

-- Pamphlet by Teachers and Students, 1979
Sent in by Steve Johnson, '58 and Shirley Muramoto, '72

Class Index Name Search Links

send additions, corrections and suggestions for history page to Bev Shulster

twitter    facebook

Last updated:
© Beverly Shulster, 2001 - 2012